The Dog Creek or Delta district is in northwestern Shasta County, about 25 miles north of Redding and just west of the town of Delta. Some placer gold was recovered from Dog Creek and other nearby streams during the gold rush. The Delta mine, the principal source of lode gold, was active in the 1890s and early 1900s. During this period it was connected to the Southern Pacific Railroad by a 6.5 -mile-long narrow-gauge railroad. A number of narrow quartz veins in greenstone contain free gold and small amounts of sulfides. The ore bodies usually are low in grade, but were reported to have had stoping lengths of as much as 800 feet.
Brown, G.C., 1916, Shasta County, Delta Consolidoted mine: California Min. Bur. Rept. 14, p. 784.
Page 1 of 1