MOUNT MONTGOMERY AND ONEOTA DISTRICTS
The Mount Montgomery and Oneota districts are combined here because they adjoin and are geologically similar. They are at the north end of the White Mountain Range, about 4 miles east of Queen, in the southern tip of Mineral County.
The Oneota district was organized in 1862, but no mining was attempted until after 1870 (Vanderburg, 1937b, p. 49). The Indian Queen and the Poorman mines were its major producers. In the Mount Montgomery district, gold, silver, mercury, and fluorspar have been mined. The chief gold mines are the Tip Top and Golden Gate (Vanderburg, 1937b, p. 47, 48).
About $150,000 in gold and silver was produced from the Mount Montgomery district, and about $1 million in gold and silver was produced from the Oneota district up to 1935 (Vanderburg, 1937b, p. 47-49). The amount of gold represented in these totals is not known, but at least 10,000 ounces is assumed. Production of gold from 1935 through 1959 was only 161 ounces; therefore, this combined district is not included in table 10.
Country rock consists of Cretaceous (?) granitic rocks intruded into schists of possible Precambrian age. In the northern part of the district these rocks are overlain by Tertiary felsic volcanic rocks, younger than the Esmeralda Formation. Quartz veins containing gold and silver occur in the volcanic rocks (Ross, 1961, p. 65, 80, pi. 2).
The Rawhide (Regent) district, at the south end of the Sand Springs Range in northeastern Mineral County, is 29 miles east of Schurz and 50 miles southeast of Fallon.
The summary of this district is abstracted from Vanderburg's reports (1936a, p. 120-121; 1937b, p. 58-64).
The initial discoveries were made in 1906. Less than 2 years later the town of Rawhide had been built and was populated by about 4,000 people, but in September 1908 a large part of the town was detroyed by fire. This is predominantly a gold camp, and most production has come from numerous small mines rather than a few large ones. From 1908 through 1935, a total of 1,818 ounces of placer gold and 49,034 ounces of lode gold was produced. Total production from 1908 through 1959 was 2,065 ounces of placer and 50,707 ounces of lode gold.
Although most of the gold came from the lode mines, there was considerable working of placer deposits. The most productive placers were in an area V2 mile wide and 1 mile long on the southeast slope of Hooligan Hill. Vanderburg (1936a, p. 120) reported $250,000 total placer production. This conflicts sharply with the $39,953 total compiled by C. W. Merrill (in Vanderburg, 1937b, p. 60).
The lode deposits are in a network of veinlets that cut the country rocksâ€”rhyolite, dacite, and andesite. Kaolinized rhyolite seems to be most strongly mineralized. Ore minerals are electrum, argentite, and cerargyrite.
Page 4 of 4