The small building on the right was constructed in 1892 by John O'Rourke, the owner of the Red Boot & Shoe Company, 36 No. Main St., Butte. The larger and more substantial front building was built in 1908 by Mary O'Rourke. The apartments were high-end residential units. Many Butte residents remember the apartments for being well-kept into the 1980's when the building fell into various owners and began to deteriorate.