Copyright: 4 Original photography - WesternMiningHistory.com
Description: The former Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Church was converted to the Victor Community Center with a grant from the State Historic Fund, a Colorado Block Development Grant, private donations, and the efforts of many hard working volunteers.
The Swedish Lutheran Church was one of seven churches listed in the Victor City Directories of the early 1900's. Other churches included the First Baptist Church, St. Victor's Catholic Church, and the Presbyterian Church. Of the seven churches, only two continue to function today - St. Victor's Catholic Church located across the street to the east and the First Baptist Church located two blocks to the west on Portland Avenue.
The Swedish Lutheran Church of Victor was incorporated March 6, 1903. Before this building was completed, memebers of the church met in the "Engineers Hall" located at 410 Victor Avenue, with Rev P.E. Ording as Pastor. The cornerstone of this building indicates it was built in 1905. Rev. Johan H. Nelson was pastor for many years. The stucco church annex, which now serves as the kitchen of the community center, was built in the early 1960's. Church services were discontinued some time in the 1970's.