This district is in east-central Madera County in the vicinity of the town of Coarsegold about 30 miles northeast of Madera. It is in the central portion of a 20-mile long belt that extends from Grub Gulch on the northwest to Fine Gold on the southeast. It includes part of the arca once known as the Potter Ridge district. Coarse and heavy placer gold was recovered from shallow deposits during the gold rush. Lode mining began in 1853, when the Texas Flat mine was discovered. The district has been intermittently mined and prospected ever since.
The area is underlain by medium to coarse-grained granodiorite with some narrow belts of slate and schist. A number of north-trending quartz veins that contain free gold and varying amounts of sulfides are enclosed in both the metamorphic and grantic rocks. The veins were mined to depths of 1000 feet.
Baker, Balfron, Daisy Bell, Five Oaks, Golden Road, Melvin, Morning Star, New Citizen, Texas Flat $200,000+.
Irelan, William, 1888, Texas Flat mine: California Min. Bur. Rept. 8, pp. 212-213.
Laizure, C. McK., 1928, Madera County, gold: California Div. Mines Rept. 54, pp. 324-328.
McLaughlin, R. P., and Bradley, W. W., 1916, Madera County, Texas Flat mine: California Min. Bur. Rept. 14, p. 551.