Gold Districts of California
Bulletin 193 California Division of Mines and Geology 1976
Table of Contents
This district is in northwestern El Dorado County in the vicinity of the town of Pilot Hill. The area was first mined during the gold rush. It was worked again in the 1930s with draglines and power shovels.
The principal deposit is a 20- to 30-acre remnant of the main Tertiary channel of the American River that extended northwest from Placerville. The gravels rest on greenstone and green schist. To the south are several bodies of gabbro and diorite. During the 1930s the yield from these gravels was 13 to 60 cents per yard in gold. Also, there are a few narrow gold-quartz veins.
Lindgren, Waldemar, ond Turner, H. W., 1894, Placerville folio: U.S. Geol. Survey Geol. Atlos of the U.S., folio 3, 3 pp.
Lindgren, Waldemar, 1911, Tertiary gravels of the Sierra Nevada: U.S. Geol. Survey Prof. Paper 73, p. 164.
Page 1 of 1