Built in 1892 by Senator Charles Newman, pioneer merchant, miner and legislator. He maintained his office here until his death in 1906.
Major Daniel L. Sheets, cattleman and member of Colorado’s second state legislature, operated the U.S. Land Office here from 1898 through 1910.
Descendants of these early settlers of the Animas Valley gathered here to honor them in the centennial year of Colorado statehood.
Text from a historical marker.