Lincoln is in western Placer County, 15 miles west of Auburn and 11 miles north of Roseville. The town was named for Charles Lincoln Wilson, who built the California Railroad here in 1861. During the 1930s considerable amounts of gold were recovered by dragline dredging from gravels in lower Auburn Ravine, just east of Lincoln, and in Doty Ravine, a few miles to the north. This was probably the most profitable drag line dredge field ill the state. Recoveries ranged from 15 to as high as 60 cents per yard. Digging depths ranged from 5 to 20 feet. The gravels are underlain by soft tuff. The total dredged area is about 1200 acres.
Lindgren, Waldemar, 1894, Sacramento folio: U. S. Geol. Survey Geol. Atlas of the U. S., folio 5, 3 pp.
Logan, C.A., 1936, Gold mines of Placer County, Uncoln Gold Dredging Company: California Div. Mines Rept. 32, pp. 82-83.