Other Names: McGarry, McGeary, Yreka
Commodities: silver, lead
This district is located on the west slope of the Sulphur Spring Range and covers the area between Milligan Gap and Bald Mountain. The north part of the district is about 5 miles east of Alpha, a station on the old Eureka Palisade Railroad. Todd and Welton (1866) place the historic Yreka district here, and the McGarry or McGeary district of Whitehill (1873), located west of Diamond district was probably in this area.
Todd and Welton, 1866; Stretch, 1867, p. 98; Territorial Enterprise, November 28, 1871, 2:2; Whitehill, 1873, p. 79; Lincoln, 1923, p. 85; Stoddard, 1932, p. 42; Gianella, 1945, p. 63; Roberts and others, 1967, p. 65
Other Names: Clan Alpine, Pinewood
Commodities: silver, gold
Located in the central Clan Alpine Mountains about 40 miles west of Austin, the district includes the upper drainage basins of Cherry Creek and Starr Canyon, northeast of Mount Augusta, as well as the area near the mouth of Florence Canyon. The district is sometimes expanded to include a small area near Cold Springs on the west flank of the Desatoya Mountains. The district was originally known as Clan Alpine but Hill (1912) used the name Alpine. The Gold Hill News (1865) located a Pinewood district in this general area.
Gold Hill News, September 7, 1865; Stretch, 1867, p. 29; White, 1869, p. 86; Angel, 1881, p. 366; Hill, 1912, p. 199; Lincoln, 1923, p. 1; Stoddard, 1932, p. 17; Vanderburg, 1940, p. 15; Gianella, 1945, p. 11; Schrader, 1947, p. 324; Willden and Speed, 1974, Stager and Tingley, 1988, p. 31