Other Names: Trinity
Commodities: lead, silver, antimony, zinc, gold, copper, diatomite, arsenic
Located in the northeastern part of the Trinity Range on the north side of the Humboldt River about 9 miles from Oreana Station. This district is the northern part of historic Trinity district which included mines in Trinity Canyon and Blackrock Canyon as well as the Arabia area. The name Arabia was in use by 1875.
Whitehill, 1877, p. 67; Vanderburg, 1936b, p. 12; Bonham, 1976; Lawrence, 1963, p. 157; La Heist, 1965, p. 66; Johnson, 1977, p. 49
Discovered: (1866?), 1930, 1986
Commodities: gold, barite, silver
Located in the northern Shoshone Range about 14 miles east of Battle Mountain. According to Hall (1994), the Argenta district dates from 1866 when silver was discovered there. The name Argenta was later applied to a nearby railroad siding when the Central Pacific Railroad was constructed in 1868. A.L. Payne (oral commun., 1992), however, stated that the railroad siding name was applied to the mining district following the discovery of barite in 1930.
In 1986, the Mule Canyon gold deposit was discovered east of the Argenta barite mine area. The district, therefore, has two distinct parts; a nonmetallic (barite) section on the west, and a metallic (gold) section on the east. These are shown separately, but with the same name, on plate 1. There is no record of silver production from the 1866 discoveries.
Stewart and others, 1977, p. 62; Hall, 1994, p. 49; Thompson and others, 1993, p. 1
Other Names: Needles
Commodities: silver, lead, gold, antimony
Situated at Arrowhead, 4 miles south of Twin Springs at the north end of the Reveille Range. Originally known as the Needles district when formed in 1919.
Weed, 1922, p. 1136; Lincoln, 1923, p. 158; Stoddard, 1932, p. 63; Kral, 1951, p. 13; Lawrence, 1963, p. 137; Kleinhampl and Ziony, 1984, p. 39
Discovered: 1866, 1933
Commodities: gold, silver, copper, antimony, lead
This district is located along the northern edge of Garfield Flat, in low hills along the southern edge of the Garfield Hills, and is centered around the Ashby gold mine. The district is commonly included in the adjacent Pamlico district or, along with both the Pamlico and Lucky Boy districts, is included in a large Hawthorne district. According to Stretch (1867), the Clarendon district was located “in the southwestern section of the [Nye] county.”
The Territorial Enterprise (1868) used name Silver Circle as an alternate name for Clarendon, and located the district 7 miles from the old Virginia (Rhodes) Salt Marsh. The 1880 map shows Clarendon to have included the area of the present Pamlico, Ashby, and Garfield districts.
1867, p. 58; Territorial Enterprise, February 2, 1868, 1:2; Lotz, 1934, p. 21; Vanderburg, 1937a, p. 11; Ross, 1961, table 6.3
Commodities: gold, silver
Located in the area between the north end of Lodi Valley and the south end of the Desatoya Mountains. Gianella restricted the Aspen district to Churchill County, in the vicinity of Chalk (Tucker) Well. This is the area described by Danner (1992) as the gold camp of Aspen, discovered about 1907. Stewart and others (1977) placed the district mainly in Lander County, but mentioned that the district extends into Churchill County. The Churchill County portion is sometimes included in the Eastgate district.
Stewart and others, 1977, p. 65; Gianella, 1945, p. 11; Danner, 1992, p. 112
Other Names: Pactolus, Pactolis
Commodities: gold, silver
This district is located in the southern Pactolus Hills and extends from the Pactolus Hills south to the Nye-Mineral county line. The original discoveries were made at the camp of Pactolus about 1903. In 1912, discoveries made about 5 miles to the southwest resulted in the development of the camp of Athens. Both areas are included within the present Athens district, although Pactolus is sometimes considered to be a separate district.
Lincoln, 1923, p. 159; Stoddard, 1932, p. 63; Kral, 1951, p. 16; Wong, 1982, table 1; Kleinhampl and Ziony, 1984, p. 43
Other Names: Silver Park, Silver Peak, Silver Springs, Indian Valley
Discovered: 1869; 1907
Commodities: gold, silver, copper, lead, uranium, vanadium, tungsten, manganese
Atlanta is located at the northern tip of the Wilson Creek Range. White (1871) referred to the district as Silver Peak, and placed it in a low range of mountains about 35 miles southeast of the Patterson district. By 1873, the name Silver Park was in use, but Angel (1881 ) incorrectly placed the Silver Park district in southeastern White Pine County. The Silver Springs district of Angel, described as being located in “the northeastern corner of the county, in the Snake Range Mountains” was probably in this area.
The Indian Valley district, mentioned in the Territorial Enterprise (1869) as located about 20 miles east of Patterson district, may also have been in this area. In 1907, Atlanta camp formed at site of gold discoveries about 2 miles east of Silver Park, and the Atlanta name thereafter applied to entire district.
Territorial Enterprise, March 3, 1869, 3:4; White, 1871, p. 97; Whitehill, 1873, p. 111; Angel, 1881, p. 485, 657; Stuart, 1909, p. 136; Hill, 1916, p. 114; Lincoln, 1923, p. 118; Stoddard, 1932, p. 51; Averett, 1962, p. 5; Tschanz and Pampeyan, 1970, p. 162; Carlson, 1974, p. 42; Stager and Tingley, 1988, p. 104