Cactus Springs District
Other Names: Cactus Spring, Cactus Range
Commodities: silver, gold, turquoise, copper
Includes Thompson’s Camp and the turquoise prospects north of Sleeping Column Canyon on the west side of the Cactus Range, and the mines and prospects near Bailey’s Camp, located between Urania Peak and Cactus Springs on the east side of the Cactus Range.
U.S. Geological Survey, 1909, p. 420; Hill, 1912, p. 220; Lincoln, 1923, p. 164; Stoddard, 1932, p. 65; Kral, 1951, p. 40; Cornwall, 1972, p. 37; Tingley and others, 1997, p. 7-36
Calico Hills District
Other Names: Hottentot
Commodities: iron, copper
Located in the Calico Hills, east of U.S. Highway 95, about 6 miles north of Schurz. The Hottentot name was taken from one of the iron prospects in the Calico Hills. The district is entirely within the Walker Lake Indian Reservation.
Tingley, 1990, p. 35
Callaghan Ranch District
Other Names: Mount Hope, Indian, Spencer, Burro, Silver Creek, Cumberland, Wall Street
Commodities: silver, tungsten, mercury
Located 12-16 miles north of Austin; covers Mount Callaghan, from area of Italian Creek north and east; Mount Hope name shown on 1866 map; includes Indian and Callaghan Ranch districts, mentioned in Stretch, 1867, as being 15-16 miles north of Austin; Spencer district of Hill (1912) and Stoddard (1932) probably in area and same as Burro camp or Rast property area of Bailey and others (in preparation); the Cumberland district, located on the western slope of the Toiyabe Range 15 miles north of Austin, and the Wall Street district, described as being located on the eastern slope of the Toiyabe Range, 25 miles north of Austin, were probably both located in this area. According to Hall (1994) the Burro camp was discovered in 1906.
General Land Office map, 1866; Stretch, 1867, p. 97-98; Territorial Enterprise, July 17, 1877; Hill, 1912, p. 216; Stoddard, 1932, p. 51; Bailey and Phoenix, 1944, p. 113; Stager and Tingley, 1988, p. 104
Camp Gregory District
Other Names: Dead Camel Mountains area
Commodities: gold, silver, mercury, diatomite
The district is located about 11 miles southwest of Fallon, along the southwestern edge of Lahontan Valley, and includes the northeastern part of the Dead Camel Mountains in the vicinity of Red Mountain. Camp Gregory was located on the northeastern edge of mountains.
Tingley, 1990, p. 52