Other Names: Delno, New York, Indian Springs, Emigrant Springs, Goose Creek
Commodities: silver, lead, zinc, copper, tungsten, molybdenum, antimony, tin
Situated in T43N, R68E, about 30 miles north of the town of Tecoma. Organized as the Goose Creek district in 1872, the district was renamed Delano sometime before 1875. The Indian Springs area is about 3 miles south-southeast of the central district. Emigrant Springs is about 7 miles to the west of the main district.
The original Delano district included the northern part of the Delano Mountains, north of Delano Peak. The later New York district included the central part of the mountains, near Indian Springs. These two areas, along with the Emigrant Springs area, are included in the present district.
Whitehill, 1877, p. 26; Angel, 1881, p. 393; Stoddard, 1932, p. 29; Lotz, 1934, p. 18; Gianella, 1945, p. 39; Granger and others, 1957, p. 43; Lawrence, 1963, p. 60; Smith, 1976, p. 49; Wong, 1982, table 1; Stager and Tingley, 1988, p. 54; LaPointe and others, 1991, p. 75
Other Names: Sullivan, Brunswick, Brunswick Canyon, Hot Springs, San Francisco
Commodities: tungsten, iron, gold, copper, lead, silver, mercury, manganese
Located in the Pine Nut Mountains east of the Carson River and west of El Dorado Canyon. Most of the district is in Carson City, but the district extends south to the upper part of Brunswick Canyon, north of Lebo Springs in Douglas County. Originally known as the Sullivan district. Brunswick Canyon is on north end, and Hot Springs Mountain is on the western side.
Wright’s map of mining districts in Nevada prior to 1863 locates the San Francisco district in the vicinity of Hot Springs Mountain, southeast of Carson City on the Douglas- Ormsby County line. That area is now included within the Delaware district.
Stretch, 1867, p. 18; Angel, 1881, p. 537; Lincoln, 1923, p. 199; Stoddard, 1932, p. 74; Overton, 1947, p. 41; Moore, 1969, p. 30; Bonham, 1976; Wong, 1982, table 1; Stager and Tingley, 1988, p. 45; George F. Wright papers, University of Nevada Reno special collections
Commodities: copper, lead, zinc, silver, uranium
District covers all of the West Buttes (Delker Hill), an isolated north-trending ridge located east of the Delcer Hills. At one time, both buttes were called the Franklin Buttes, and later, Delker Buttes.
Hill, 1916, p. 66; Lincoln, 1923, p. 42; Stoddard, 1932, p. 30; Gianella, 1945, p. 39; Granger and others, 1957, p. 48; Smith, 1976, p. 53; LaPointe and others, 1991, p. 80
Other Names: White Plains, White Plain, Lakeview
Discovered: (1849?) 1863
Commodities: gold, silver, mercury
Located on the northeast flank of Desert Peak in the Hot Springs Mountains, about 7 miles west-southwest of White Plains (Huxley) station on the Southern Pacific Railroad. The Territorial Enterprise (1868) placed a Lakeview district in this area. Vanderburg (1940) mentioned that the Desert Queen Mine in this district may have been discovered by emigrants in 1849; if so, this district would be the site of the earliest mining activity in the state.
Stretch, 1867, p. 29; Territorial Enterprise, October 24, 1868, 2:6; Hill, 1912, p. 200; Lincoln, 1923, p. 2; Stoddard, 1932, p. 19; Vanderburg, 1940, p. 19; Gianella, 1945, p. 12; Willden and Speed, 1974, p. 66; Carlson, 1974, p. 177; Schilling, 1976