Dolly Varden District
Other Names: Mizpah, Granite Mountain, Granite
Commodities: copper, silver, lead, zinc, gold, molybdenum, thorium and rare earths, uranium
Situated at the northern extremity of the Schell Creek Range (Dolly Varden Mountains). The original Dolly Varden district was located on the east side of the mountains; the Granite [Mountain] district was 3 miles to the west; and the Mizpah district was located to the north, near Mizpah Spring. All three areas are included in the present Dolly Varden district.
Whitehill, 1875, p. 30; Angel, 1881, p. 393-394; Hill, 1912, p. 204; Lincoln, 1923, p.42; Stoddard, 1932, p. 30; Gianella, 1945, p. 39; Granger and others, 1957, p. 50; Garside, 1973, p. 46; Smith, 1976, p. 54; LaPointe and others, 1991, p. 82
Don Dale District
Commodities: lead, silver, copper, mercury, gold
The Don Dale district is located on the northern end of the Groom Range and includes the area generally south of State Highway 375, between Coyote Summit and the Groom district. Wheeler (1872) included all of this area in a large Tempahute district; the southwestern part of the historic district is now Don Dale, the northeastern part is Tem Piute.
Wheeler, 1872, p. 44; Tschanz and Pampeyan, 1970, p. 174; Tingley, 1991, p. 3
Other Names: Gerlach, Donnely, Granite Creek
Commodities: gold, silver
Located on the west slope of the Calico Mountains southwest of Donnelly Peak approximately 9 miles north-northeast of the southwest corner of Humboldt County. Lincoln (1923) placed this district in Washoe County, near the line between Humboldt and Washoe Counties.
Lincoln, 1923, p. 234; Stoddard, 1932, p. 83; Vanderburg, 1938a, p. 20; Carlson, 1974, p. 126; Bonham, 1980
Duck Creek District
Other Names: Success, Peacock, Enterprise, McDougal, McDugal
County: White Pine
Commodities: lead, silver, copper, zinc, gold, limestone, fire clay
The Duck Creek district is located in the Duck Creek Range, a narrow ridge lying west of the main part of the Schell Creek Range. The northern part of the district was originally known as Enterprise (1869), the southern part as McDougal. The southeastern part later was called Success. The area on the west slope of the Duck Creek Range, opposite the Ely airport, was known as Peacock.
White, 1871, p. 85; Angel, 1881, p. 653; Lincoln, 1923, p. 244; Stoddard, 1932, p. 86; Hose and others, 1976, p. 51