Other Names: Regan, Tungstonia, Kern, Pleasant Valley, Red Hills, Claytons
County: White Pine
Commodities: tungsten, lead, silver, copper, gold, zinc, arsenic
The Eagle district includes all of the Kern Mountains and the adjacent Red Hills. The district extends from the Utah border, east of Pleasant Valley, west to the Red Hills. The historic Pleasant Valley district, which covered the section of Kern Mountains on the south side of Pleasant Valley, was organized in 1869. This area later was included in the Kern district covering all of Kern Mountains.
In 1872, the district was enlarged to include the Red Hills to the west, and the name was changed to Eagle. The Regan tungsten deposit was discovered in 1910, and the camp of Tungstonia grew near the mine. Since that time, the district has sometimes been called Tungstonia or Regan. A Claytons district, shown on the 1880 map, was located northeast of Cedar Spring and would have covered the north portion of the present Eagle district.
White, 1871, p. 81; Angel, 1881, p. 654; Hill, 1912, p. 228; Lincoln, 1923, p. 245; Stoddard, 1932, p. 87; La Heist, 1964, p. 66; Hose and others, 1976, p. 52; Bonham, 1976; Stager and Tingley, 1988, p. 213
Eagle Canyon District
Todd and Welton (1866) placed this district in the Clan Alpine Mountains, between the historic Salinas (Bernice) and Clan Alpine ( Alpine) districts
Todd and Welton, 1866
Eagle Valley District
Other Names: Fay, Stateline, Deer Lodge, Gold Springs, Klondike, Pike’s Diggings
Commodities: gold, silver, lead, uranium, perlite
This district is composed of several small mining areas scattered throughout the Mahogany Mountains along the Nevada-Utah border and includes the Deer Lodge district in the area of Gold Bug Mountain, north of Deer Lodge Canyon; the Fay district, south of Deer Lodge Canyon and north of Buck Mountain; the Gold Springs section, east of Buck Mountain (mostly in Utah); and the Stateline section, about 5 miles north of Deer Lodge Canyon (also mostly in Utah).
Klondike was described by Averett (1962) as a short-lived mining district near Fay, active in 1903. Pike’s Diggings, active 1898-1905, was also near Fay.
Hill, 1912, p. 217; Lincoln, 1923, p. 119; Stoddard, 1932, p. 52; Averett, 1962, p. 61, 79; Tschanz and Pampeyan, 1970, p. 156; Garside, 1973, p. 73; Wong, 1982, table 1
Placer District Description
Eagle Valley district (T. 2 N., Rs 69 and 70 E) is a small gold silver-lead district between the Wilson Creek Range and the White Rock Mountains in eastern Nevada. The source of the placer gold in 1935 is unknown.
Tscham and Pampeyan, 1970.
Other Names: Hot Springs, Regent, Rawhide, Leonard, Juarez
Commodities: gold, silver, tungsten, barite
District is centered around the camp of Eagleville about 4 miles east of Nevada Scheelite Camp. Sometimes known as the Hot Springs district, which included all of the area between Rawhide Hot Springs and the Churchill County line. The camp of Sunnyside, now included in the Leonard district, was sometimes included in Eagleville district.
Ross (1961) and Stager and Tingley (1988) used the name Regent to include both Rawhide and Eagleville. The original Regent district was located northwest of Rawhide, and never extended to Eagleville. The Juarez district of Todd and Welton (1866), located near a hot spring west of the Paradise Range, was probably in this area.
Todd and Welton, 1866; Hill, 1912, p. 200; Lincoln, 1923, p. 3; Stoddard, 1932, p. 20; Vanderburg, 1937a, p. 29; Schrader, 1947, p. 223; Ross, 1961, pl. 1; Bonham, 1976; Stager and Tingley, 1988, p. 121
Webmaster's note: the publication Placer Gold Deposits of Nevada describes the Eagleville district as part of the Rawhide district. See the Rawhide district description for more info.