Ferguson Spring District
Other Names: Allegheny, Alleghany
Commodities: copper, silver, lead, zinc
The Ferguson Spring district covers Ferguson Mountain, an isolated peak east of the Goshute Mountains, and part of Ferguson Flat, south of the peak. The original district name was Allegheny.
Lincoln, 1923, p. 45; Stoddard, 1932, p. 31; Gianella, 1945, p. 41; Granger and others, 1957, p. 63; Smith, 1976, p. 67; LaPointe and others, 1991, p. 97
Fish Creek District
Other Names: Keystone, Gibellini
Commodities: gold, silver, lead, zinc, tungsten, molybdenum, fluorspar, barite
Located about 18 miles south of Spring Valley in the southern Mahogany Hills and west-facing slope of the northern Fish Creek Range. Referred to by Lotz (1934) as the Keystone district. The district sometimes includes the Gibellini Mine area in the southern Fish Creek Range in southern Eureka and northern Nye Counties; Gibellini is considered to be a separate district.
Whitehill, 1873, p. 79; Angel, 1881, p. 435; Lotz, 1934, p. 19; Vanderburg, 1938b, 48; Roberts and others, 1967, p. 85; Jones, 1984; Papke, 1984, table 3; Stager and Tingley, 1988, p. 72
Fish Lake Valley District
Other Names: White Mountain, White Mountains, Cottonwood
Commodities: mercury, antimony
The district covers the eastern slope of the northern White Mountains extending from Sugarloaf Peak south to the vicinity of Chiatovich Creek, and extends east to include northern Fish Lake Valley and a portion of the southern Volcanic Hills. The map of 1866 includes the Fish Lake Valley district in a larger White Mountain district. The northwestern area near Sugarloaf Peak is sometimes included in the adjacent Buena Vista district.
The historic Cottonwood district covered this district as well as the Fish Lake Marsh district and part of the Red Mountain district to the east. According to the Territorial Enterprise (1866), the north half of the Cottonwood district was overlapped by the Independence district, and Cottonwood was on the west slope of Red Mountain. Stretch (1867) said the Cottonwood district boundaries began 1.5 miles north of Fish Lake Valley and extended west to the summit of the White Mountains.
General Land Office, 1866; Territorial Enterprise, July 4, 1866, 1:3; Stretch, 1867, p. 41, 44; Bailey and Phoenix, 1944, p. 66; Gianella, 1945, p. 53; Lawrence, 1963, p. 64, Albers and Stewart, 1972, p. 66
Other Names: Acme, Kincaid, Kinkaid, Ryan Canyon, Gillis and Gabbs Valley Ranges
Commodities: silver, gold, lead, copper, tungsten, iron, uranium, thorium and rare earths, barite, montmorillonite clay, andalusite, corundum
The Fitting district covers the southeastern Gillis Range and a small portion of the Gabbs Valley Range. It is about 6 miles from Thorne siding, north of Acme and Kinkaid sidings, and extends northwest to include the Ryan Canyon area. Fitting is included within the larger Gillis and Gabbs Valley Ranges area of Garside (1973).
Lincoln, 1923, p. 143; Stoddard, 1932, p. 57, 61; Vanderburg, 1937a, p. 30; Ross, 1961, p. 81; Papke, 1970, p. 24; Garside, 1973, p. 78; Wong, 1982, table 1; Stager and Tingley, 1988, p. 115
A mining district organized near Pioche in 1909, the exact location is unknown.
Averett, 1962, p. 42