Other Names: Clarendon, Silver Circle
Discovered: 1866 (1880)
Commodities: silver, gold, copper, lead, tungsten, antimony
Located in the vicinity of Mable Mountain in the eastern Garfield Hills, the Garfield district lies between Black Dyke Mountain on the north and Garfield Flat on the south. According to Stretch (1867), the Clarendon district was located “in the southwestern section of the [Nye] county”; the Territorial Enterprise (1868) used the name Silver Circle as an alternate name for Clarendon, and located the district 7 miles from the old Virginia (Rhodes) Salt Marsh. The 1880 map shows Clarendon to have included the area of the present Pamlico, Ashby, and Garfield districts.
Stretch, 1867, p. 58; Territorial Enterprise, February 2, 1868, 1:2; Lincoln, 1923, p. 144; Stoddard, 1932, p. 59; Vanderburg, 1937a, p. 33; Ross, 1961, p. 82; Lawrence, 1963, p. 119; Stager and Tingley, 1988, p. 115
Gass Peak District
Commodities: zinc, silver, lead, gold, uranium
The Gass Peak district is at Gass Peak, the southernmost peak of the Las Vegas Range, about 8 miles northwest of Las Vegas; the district includes all of Gass Peak, but most mining activity has been confined to the southern slope of the peak.
Lincoln, 1923, p. 20; Stoddard, 1932, p. 25; Gianella, 1945, p. 25; Longwell and others, 1965, p. 145; Garside, 1973, p. 36
Located 40 miles south of Virginia City, on the east side of Carson Valley 20 miles east of Genoa; the exact location is unknown
Virginia Evening Bulletin, September 11, 1863, 3:1, and September 23, 1863, 3:2; Gold Hill News, April 11, 1864, 2:3
Described as “20 miles west of Humboldt Station.” The exact location is unknown.
Territorial Enterprise, February 24, 1876, 2:4
Commodities: gold, silver, copper, uranium
Located in the mountains west of Genoa, 1 mile north of the town. Expanded to include Kingsbury Grade area of Garside (1973).
Stretch, 1867, p. 20; Angel, 1881, p. 375; Lincoln, 1923, p. 34; Stoddard, 1932, p. 27; Gianella, 1945, p. 33; Overton, 1947, p. 27; Moore, 1969, p. 29; Garside, 1973, p. 38
Genoa Placer District Description
East side of the Carson Range in the Sierra Nevada, west of the Carson River, T. 13 N., R. 19 E.
Carson City 15-minute quadrangle.
Moore, 1969, Geologic map of Lyon, Douglas, and Ormsby Counties, Nevada (pi. 1), scale 1:250,000.
From Reno, 35 miles south on U.S. Highway 395 to junction with State Highway 57; from there, about 8 miles west and south on State Highway 57 to Genoa. Placers are found west of town.
No descriptions of the exact location of the placers in the Genoa district are available. The placers are said to be in Tertiary gravels located a short distance west of the town of Genoa.
Minor gold and silver lodes were extensively prospected in the 1860's but were found to be of little economic value. Placer gold was recovered from the area in 1908 and 1909; the deposits were prospected again in 1916.
The placer gold recovered from the district was material probably eroded from the small gold and silver lodes formed by intrusion of the Cretaceous granites into Triassic sedimentary rocks.
Overton, 1947: Describes lode deposits in district.
Vanderburg, 1936a: Notes prospecting activity in 1916; states that Tertiary gravels are of doubtful economic importance.