Good Hope District (Elko County)
Other Names: Aurora, Amazon
Discovered: 1873; 1875
Commodities: silver, antimony, gold, arsenic
Located about 25 miles northwest of Tuscarora in T41N, R49E. Two historic districts, Amazon and Aurora, are included in the present Good Hope district; Amazon (1873) was in the northeast corner of the township, Aurora (1875) was in the west half of the township. According to Smith (1976), the area was renamed Good Hope, probably in 1878.
Whitehill, 1877, p. 26; Angel, 1881, p. 392-393; Hill, 1912, p. 204; Lincoln, 1923, p. 46; Stoddard, 1932, p. 31; Lotz, 1934, p. 18; Gianella, 1945, p. 41; Granger and others, 1957, p. 72; Lawrence, 1963, p. 60; La Heist, 1964, p. 66; Smith, 1976, p. 77; Wong, 1982, table 1; LaPointe and others, 1991, p. 102
Good Hope District (Esmeralda County)
Other Names: White Wolf, Lookout Mountain
Commodities: silver, gold
Located in T4S, R36E, on the southern flank of the Silver Peak Mountains about 7 miles south of Piper Peak.
Spurr, 1906, p. 85; Lincoln, 1923, p. 73; U.S. Bureau of Mines, 1931, p. 617; Stoddard, 1932, p. 38; Gianella, 1945, p. 55; Albers and Stewart, 1972, p. 69
Other Names: Good Springs, Yellow Pine, Yellowpine, Potosi, Clarke, lvanpah, Migual Marsh, New England, Wheeler
Commodities: zinc, lead, silver, gold, copper, platinum, palladium, vanadium, cobalt, molybdenum, uranium, antimony, titanium, perlite
The original Yellow Pine or Potosi district was centered around the Potosi Mine in the north part of the present Goodsprings district. The Clarke district, centered on Clark Mountain in California, included the southern part of the present district as well as the lvanpah area and part of the Crescent (New York) district to the south. Averett (1962) stated New England was the name of the first district organized in the Goodsprings area. The Wheeler district, described as being in southern Spring Mountains, was later incorporated into the Goodsprings district.
General Land Office, 1866; White, 1871, p. 103; Wheeler, 1872, p. 52-53; Whitehill, 1873, p. 94-95; Angel, 1881, p. 486; Stuart, 1909, p. 136; Hill, 1912, p. 202; Lincoln, 1923, p. 29; Stoddard, 1932, p. 25-26; Vanderburg, 1937b, p. 37; Gianella, 1945, p. 28-29; Averett, 1962, p. 74, 98; Beal, 1963, p. 14; Gemmill, 1964, p. 235; Longwell and others, 1965, p. 102; Lawrence, 1963, p. 38; Garside, 1973, p. 28; Bonham, 1976
Goose Creek District
Most of the Goose Creek district is in Idaho, but it extends in the Goose Creek drainage into Utah and into the northeastern corner of Elko County. The Goose Creek district of Whitehill (1875) was actually the present Delano district, located to the southwest.
Whitehill, 1875, p. 33; Angel, 1881, p. 393; Smith, 1976, p. 79; LaPointe and others, 1991, p. 104
Gourd Springs District
Commodities: tungsten, barite, gypsum, manganese
The Gourd Springs district covers the eastern flank of the East Mormon Mountains, 8 miles north of the Lincoln-Clark county line.
Tschanz and Pampeyan, 1970, p. 176; Papke, 1987, p. 18-19; Stager and Tingley, 1988, p. 106; Tingley, 1989c, p. 5