Grand Junction District
According to Whitehill (1877), the Grand Junction district was “55 miles northerly from Elko.” Smith (1976) thought Grand Junction may have been an older name for the Merrimac district. Merrimac, however, is much less than 55 miles north of Elko, and the exact location of the Grand Junction district is unknown.
Whitehill, 1877, p. 25; Angel, 1881, p. 394; Smith, 1976, p. 111
Other Names: Steptoe, Hendry, Piedmont, Gosiute, Warm Springs
County: White Pine
Commodities: lead, silver, gold, tungsten, copper
Located on the east slope of the northern Egan Range, north of the San Francisco district and 36 miles north of Ely. The district was described as near Perly’s ranch but on the opposite side of the range. The area was organized as the Piedmont district in 1869, and part of the area was called the Hendry district in 1875. Discoveries in 1894 resulted in organization of the Granite district, near Granite railroad siding and the town of Steptoe. The area was referred to as the Gosiute district in 1916.
References: Whitehill, 1873, p. 144; Raymond, 1877, p. 193; Angel, 1881, p. 655; Stuart, 1909, p. 103; Hill, 1912, p. 228; Lincoln, 1923, p. 251; Stoddard, 1932, p. 88-89; Hose and others, 1976, p. 53; Stager and Tingley, 1988, p. 217
Green Valley District
Commodities: silver, gold
Described as “5 miles northeast of Woodfords [California].” Covers the area between the east and west forks of the Carson River, between their intersection and the summit of the Sierra Nevada. In Nevada, this district includes only a few small prospects on the state line south of Gardnerville but it extends into California where it is now known as the Hope Valley district.
Territorial Enterprise, July 4, 1860
Commodities: lead, zinc, silver, gold
The Groom district is located in the southern Groom Range and is centered around the Groom Mine in T7S, R55E. This district adjoined the historic Tempahute district on the south.
White, 1871, p. 101; Angel, 1881, p. 485; Lincoln, 1923, p. 121; Stoddard, 1932, p. 53; Humphrey, 1945, p. 9-10; Tingley, 1989b, p. 3