Other Names: Gold Reed, Goldreed, Southern Kawich, Cowitch, Queen City
Commodities: gold, silver
The original Gold Reed district was centered at the camp of Kawich, on the east side of the Kawich Range. The Southern Kawich district was located about 6 miles south of Kawich. The present Kawich district includes the Gold Reed Mine and other mines and prospects near the site of the old camp of Kawich and the mining area near Gold Reed Pass. Queen City, included in the Kawich district by Kral (1951), is considered to be a separate district, located about 15 miles to the northeast.
Ball, 1907, p. 111-113; Stuart, 1909, p. 92; Hill, 1912, p. 222; Lincoln, 1923, p. 173; Stoddard, 1932, p. 68; Nevada State Writers Project, 1941, p. 56; Kral, 1951, p. 90; Cornwall, 1972, p. 38; Bonham, 1976; Tingley and others, 1997, p. 7-112
Other Names: Cinnabar
Commodities: silver, gold, lead, copper, zinc
Located at the southern end of the East Range, mainly in T28-29N, R37-38E. The original district was situated on the east side of Granite (Cinnabar) Mountain. The district now includes the camp of Kennedy on the east side of the range, and the Frenchboy Canyon- Say Canyon area on the west side of the range.
The Cinnabar district, shown on the General Land Office 1866 map to be immediately south of the Sierra district on the east side of the East Range, may have included the areas of the present Goldbanks and Kennedy districts but Cinnabar probably was mainly in the area of Cinnabar Creek, in the Kennedy district.
General Land Office, 1866; Ransome, 1909, p. 52; Hill, 1912, p. 213; Lincoln, 1923, p. 208; Stoddard, 1932, p. 77; Vanderburg, 1936b, p. 19; Johnson, 1977, p. 64
Kennedy Placer District Description
The placer gold credited to the Kennedy district probably was recovered from gravels in Kennedy Canyon or its tributaries (T. 28 N., R. 38 E.) on the east side of the East Range. The placer gold was probably derived from gold-silver ores in veins in the igneous rocks of the area that have been mined near the head of the canyon, particularly at the Gold Note mine during the 1890's.
Other Names: Monte Cristo
Commodities: gold, silver, lead
Located 50 miles southeast of Fallon, on the west side of the Monte Cristo Range.
U.S. Bureau of Mines, 1928, p. 466; Stoddard, 1932, p. 60; Vanderburg, 1937a, p. 39; Schrader, 1947, p. 124