Other Names: Santa Fe, Guadalajara, Bunker Hill, Victorine, Summit, Smoky Valley, Big Smoky, Bunker Hill and Summit Combined
Commodities: gold, silver, copper, lead
Shown on the General Land Office 1866 map to be included in the large Smoky Valley district which took in all of the eastern slope of the Toiyabe Range. Bunker Hill and Summit districts were organized at the foot of Bunker Hill on Kingston Creek (Smoky River or Smoky Creek) sometime prior to 1866. The district is sometimes divided into the Santa Fe district, on the north, and the Bunker Hill or Victorine district, on the south. In 1866, the name Bunker Hill and Summit Combined mining district was being used for this area (Lander County records).
General Land Office, 1866; Stretch, 1867, p. 98; Whitehill, 1873, p. 65; Angel, 1881, p. 519; Lincoln, 1923, p. 112; Stoddard, 1932, p. 50; Lotz, 1934, p. 20; Vanderburg, 1939, p. 57; Stewart and others, 1977, p. 83
Kingston Placer District Description
This district is in Kingston Canyon, in the Toiyabe Range, south and east of Bunker Hill. The area has been prospected and mined for gold- silver deposits since 1863. A few ounces of placer gold was recovered from the Kingston claim (unlocated) in 1935.
Other Names: Antelope, Kingsley
Commodities: copper, gold, lead, tungsten, silver, marble
The Kinsley district covers the southern half of the Kinsley Mountains. The area was organized as the Antelope district in 1862, rediscovered and organized as the Kingsley district in 1865. The name evolved to Kinsley, the present district name. The county line bisects the district, but most of the mines are in Elko County.
Stretch, 1867, p. 103; White, 1871, p. 63; Angel, 1881, p. 394; Lincoln, 1923, p. 50; Stoddard, 1932, p. 32; Gianella, 1945, p. 42; Granger and others, 1957, p. 102; Hose and others, 1976, p. 55; Smith, 1976, p. 99; Stager and Tingley, 1988, p. 60; LaPointe and others, 1991, p. 141
Other Names: Southern Klondyke, Southern Klondike, Klondike
Commodities: silver, lead, gold, copper, turquoise, iron
Located about 10 miles south of Tonopah and about 2 miles east of U.S. Highway 95. The district was originally named Southern Klondyke. According to Bonham and Garside (1979), mining has been concentrated in three areas within the district: the main area in the SEc section 24, T1N, R42E; the east Klondyke mining area in the center of section 30, T1N, R43E; and the Klondyke Peak mining area in the SW/4 section 25, T1N, R42E.
Hill, 1912, p. 210; Lincoln, 1923, p. 75; Stoddard, 1932, p. 39; Gianella, 1945, p. 56; Horton, 1962 Albers and Stewart, 1972, p. 69; Bonham and Garside, 1979, p. 130
Klondyke Placer District Description
Although no placer gold production has been credited to this district, which is 12 miles north of Goldfield in T. 1 N., R. 42 E., a few reports indicate placer-mining activity on a small scale since the 1870's. A nugget valued at $1,200 was reported found. (See Goldfield district.)