Maggie Creek District
Other Names: Schroeder, Schroeder Mountain, Suzie Creek, Marys Mountain area, Richmond, Hunter, Mud Springs, Carlin Trend
Commodities: gold, copper, silver, lead, antimony, barite
Located in the Tuscarora Mountains about 11 miles northwest of the town of Carlin. The original Richmond district (1875) was located in the southern Tuscarora Mountains 18 miles north of Palisade, north of the present Maggie Creek district, and was described in the Territorial Enterprise (1877) as being formed by combining the earlier Mud Springs and Hunter districts. Marys Mountain area is west of Maggie Creek, Suzie Creek is to the east.
The Maggie Creek district is sometimes referred to as the Maggie Creek subdistrict of the Carlin Trend, an informal grouping of disseminated gold deposits that extends from the southern Railroad district in the Piñon Range on the southeast to Bootstrap on the northwest.
Territorial Enterprise, September 7, 1877, 2:4; Angel, 1881, p. 436; Emmons, 1910, p. 87; Hill, 1912, p. 212; Lincoln, 1923, p. 94; Stoddard, 1932, p. 43; Vanderburg, 1938b, p. 62; Roberts and others, 1967, p. 97; Bonham, 1976; Bentz and Tingley, 1983; Ryneer, 1987, p. 265; Rota, p. 49; Ekburg and others, 1991, p. 625
Maggie Creek Placer District Description
Placers were reportedly worked near the headwaters of Maggie Creek (Tps. 35 and 36 N., R. 51 E.) between the Tuscarora Mountains and Independence Mountains. Maggie Creek receives drainage from Lynn Creek, a productive gold-bearing creek in the Tuscarora Mountains. No record of placer gold production has been found for the Maggie Creek district.
Vanderburg, 1936a: States that placers were worked on Maggie Creek.