Mercury Mountain District
Other Names: Milk Spring, Tybo
The district is located on in the vicinity of M & M Canyon on the southwestern tip of the Hot Creek Range, west of Warm Springs. This area was included in the Tybo district by Bailey and Phoenix (1944), Kral (1951), and Kleinhampl and Ziony (1984), but is now considered to be the separate Mercury Mountain district (A.L. Payne, oral commun., 1992). The historic Milk Spring district, shown on the map of Wheeler (1872) to be south of Tybo, included the Mercury Mountain area.
Bailey and Phoenix, 1944, p. 146; Kral, 1951, p. 189; Kleinhampl and Ziony, 1984, p. 210
Other Names: Lone Mountain
Commodities: lead, zinc, silver, copper, gold, tungsten, antimony, iron, turquoise
Situated at Lone Mountain, about 25 miles northerly from Elko, 4 miles west of the road to Idaho. Smith (1976) suggested that Grand Junction was an older name for this district but the description by White (1871) places Grand Junction 55 miles north of Elko, far beyond Lone Mountain.
White, 1871, p. 58; Lincoln, 1923, p. 51; Stoddard, 1932, p. 33; Gianella, 1945, p. 44; Granger and others, 1957, p. 106; Lawrence, 1963, p. 62; Morrissey, 1968, p. 5; Smith, 1976, p. 111; Stager and Tingley, 1988, p. 61; LaPointe and others, 1991, p. 157
Described as “95 miles east of Pine Grove,” Metallic was possibly the same general location as the historic Volcano district. Metallic City was in the Candelaria district, but was at a later date and probably not related to this Metallic; the exact location is unknown.
Territorial Enterprise, January 31, 1871, 3:1
Mill City District
Other Names: Central, New Central, Holcombe
Commodities: tungsten, molybdenum, silver, copper, gold, lead, antimony
The Central district originally covered the southern Eugene Mountains, extending from the 56 Mine north to the Blackbird Mine area on the present Pershing-Humboldt county line. The area to the north, including the north end of the Eugene Mountains in present Humboldt County, was later known as New Central district.
The southern Pershing County part later became known as Mill City, and the district was then expanded to combine the original Central (Mill City) district in Pershing County and the New Central district in Humboldt County into one large Mill City district. The Holcombe district, described in the Territorial Enterprise (1877) as “7 miles from Raspberry Station,” may have been in this area.
White, 1871, p. 26; Territorial Enterprise, November 31, 1877; Angel, 1881, p. 450; Hill, 1912, p. 212; Lincoln, 1923, p. 209; Stoddard, 1932, p. 46, 78; Vanderburg, 1938a, p. 17; Lawrence, 1963, p. 199; Johnson, 1977, p. 65; Stager and Tingley, 1988, p. 167