Mount Hope District
Other Names: McGeary, Morlath, Garden Pass
Commodities: zinc, molybdenum, silver, lead, copper, gold
Located at Mount Hope in T22N, R51-52E, about 21 miles northwest of Eureka. Organized as the McGeary mining district in 1871, the name was changed to Mount Hope in 1872 (Hall, 1994). The original district included only the southwest side of the mountain. The district is now enlarged to include the area from Garden Pass south to include all of Mount Hope and a small area in the southern Sulphur Spring Range east of State Highway 278.
Stoddard, 1932, p. 44; Vanderburg, 1938b, p. 58; Roberts and others, 1967, p. 103; Bonham, 1976; Hall, 1994, p. 30.
Mount Moriah District
Other Names: Warren
County: White Pine
Discovered: 1870 (1905?)
Commodities: lead, zinc, garnet, silver, copper, tungsten
The Mount Moriah area includes all of the northern Snake Range, extending generally from the north side of Silver Creek on the south to the drainages of Rye Grass and Smith Canyons on the north; Mount Moriah is in the center of this area. The Territorial Enterprise (1870) mentioned a Warren district, located “7 miles north of Sacramento Pass on the west slope of Mount Moriah,” which may have been in this area.
Territorial Enterprise, May 1, 1870; Hose and others, 1976, p. 57; Stager and Tingley, 1988, p. 220