Other Names: Thurman, Lost Basin, Searchlight
Commodities: gold, silver, copper, antimony, thorium and rare earths
The Newberry district extends south from the Camp Thurman area, southeast of Searchlight on the northern tip of the Newberry Mountains. The district includes all of the Newberry Mountains lying generally north of Laughlin. Averelt (1962) described Thurman as the area of 1906 gold discoveries around Camp Thurman on Newberry Mountain 16 miles southwest of Searchlight, and placed Lost Basin, active about 1912, in the area of the Chiquita Hills, along the California state line in T32S, R20E. All of these areas are now included within the Newberry district. Lincoln (1923) included the Camp Thurman area within his large Searchlight district.
Lincoln, 1923, p. 24; Lawrence, 1963, p. 39; Averett, 1962, p. 74, 94; Longwell and others, 1965, p. 141
Other Names: Mud Lake, Coyote Canyon area, Black Butte
Discovered: 1873 (1917)
Commodities: tungsten, antimony, gold, silver, uranium
Located in T24N, R24E in the southern portion of the Nightingale Range, the northern portion of the Truckee Range, and the southern portion of the Sahwave Range. The major part of the district is in Pershing County. Nightingale includes the Mud Lake district of Lotz (1934) and the Coyote Canyon area of Garside (1973). The Mud Lake district mentioned in Territorial Enterprise (1875) was located in the vicinity of the Black Warrior Mine. The Black Butte district mentioned in the Nevada State Journal (1876) was probably also in this area.
Territorial Enterprise, January 13, 1875, 2:5; Nevada State Journal, January 19, 1876, 3:2; Lincoln, 1923, p. 211; Stoddard, 1932, p. 78; Lotz, 1934, p. 24; Vanderburg, 1936b, p. 23; Lawrence, 1963, p. 220; Bonham, 1969, p. 70; Garside, 1973, p. 97; Johnson, 1977, p. 75; Stager and Tingley, 1988, p. 180, 200; Tingley, 1989a, p. 7
North Battle Mountain District
Other Names: Stony Point
Commodities: barite, silver, lead, copper, gold
Located north of the Humboldt River, at the southern base of the Sheep Creek Range, about 6 miles northeast of Battle Mountain.
Stewart and others, 1977, p. 89
Other Names: Monitor, Springfield, Mountain Chief
Commodities: gold, barite, silver, zinc, uranium
The original Northumberland district was located at the head of East Northumberland Canyon in the northern Toquima Range. The district now extends north to the Lander County line. The Northumberland district was organized in 1866. The name was changed to Monitor in 1875, then back to Northumberland in 1879. The Springfield district was organized about 1 mile west of Diana’s Punchbowl in 1874, the exact location is unknown, but within the area of present the Northumberland district. The historic Mountain Chief district is thought to have been north of Northumberland Canyon in this same general area.
Stretch, 1867, p. 63; White, 1869, p. 73; Wheeler, 1872, p. 41; Whitehill, 1875, p. 74; Angel, 1881, p. 519, 522; Lincoln, 1923, p. 178; Stoddard, 1932, p. 69; Kral, 1951, p. 135; Garside, 1973, p. 86-87; Kleinhampl and Ziony, 1984, p. 157