Commodities: gold, silver, copper
The Pennsylvania district is near the head of Pennsylvania Canyon on the southwestern flank of the Clover Mountains, the range of mountains between Meadow and Clover Valleys.
Whitehill, 1873, p. 97; Angel, 1881, p. 485; Tschanz and Pampeyan, 1970, p. 170
County: White Pine
Commodities: silver, gold, copper, lead
Located on the eastern slope of the Schell Creek Range, generally east and northeast of North Schell Peak. Historically, the district included only the area near the mouth of Piermont Creek; the district has been expanded to include the area between Piermont and McCoy Creeks.
White, 1871, p. 84; Angel, 1881, p. 655; Lincoln, 1923, p. 253; Stoddard, 1932, p. 88; Hose and others, 1976, p. 63
Pilot Mountains District
Other Names: Pilot, Sodaville, Graham Springs, Telephone Canyon, Volcano
Commodities: tungsten, mercury, silver, gold, lead, copper, molybdenum, antimony, turquoise, montmorillonite
Includes all of the Pilot Mountains, lies east of Mina and U.S. Highway 95 and extends between the Bettles Well-Graham Spring road on the northwest and the Mineral- Esmeralda County line on the southeast. The district includes the area of Telephone Canyon in T6N, R35 and 36E and Graham Springs on northeastern flank of range.
Sodaville was used as an alternate name for the Pilot Mountains district by Lincoln (1923), but Lincoln did not include the prospects west of the town of Sodaville in this district. These prospects are included in the separate Sodaville district. The historic Volcano district described by Danner (1992) includes the northern part of the Pilot Mountains district as well as the present Santa Fe district.
Stretch, 1867, p. 58; Hill, 1912, p. 209; Lincoln, 1923, p. 147; Stoddard, 1932, p. 62; Lotz, 1934, p. 21; Vanderburg, 1937a, p. 50; Ross, 1961, p. 83; Lawrence, 1963, p. 122; Papke, 1970, p. 24; Bonham, 1976; Stager and Tingley, 1988, p. 117; Danner, 1992, p. 33
Pilot Mountains (Telephone Canyon) Placer District Description
Placer gold was recovered from deposits near the mouth of Telephone Canyon (near the Belleville mine, T. 6 N., R. 35 E.) in the Pilot Moun- tain Range in 1931. No record of this production exists, and little is known about the deposits.