Segura Ranch District
Located northeast of Segura Ranch in the Antelope Range.
Kleinhampl and Ziony, 1984, p. 187
Other Names: Aurum, Schell Creek, Queen Springs, McCurdy’s, Gilbert
County: White Pine
Commodities: silver, lead, manganese, zinc, gold, tungsten, arsenic
The Seigel district is located at the crest of the Schell Creek Range the head of McCurdy Creek, and extends south to include the Seigel Creek area near the sites of the old camps of Centerville and Seigel. Seigel is the second from the north of the five small districts sometimes grouped into the large Aurum district, covering all of the northern Schell Creek Range. The Queen Springs area is situated on Queen Springs Mountain and embraces part of what was formerly known as McCurdy’s district.
The historic McCurdy’s district extended 6 miles north and 6 miles south from Queen Springs between Spring Valley on the east and Steptoe Valley on the west. The Seigel area was included in the original Schell Creek district (1871). The Territorial Enterprise (1870) described a Gilbert district “on the east slope of the Schell Creek Mountains 5 miles west of Spring Valley Station” that probably covered this district.
Territorial Enterprise, May 1, 1870, 2:5; Whitehill, 1873, p. 144; Whitehill, 1875, p. 88; Angel, 1881, p. 655, 657; Hill, 1912, p. 226; Hill, 1916, p. 194; Lincoln, 1923, p. 241; Stoddard, 1932, p. 85; La Heist, 1964, p. 66; Hose and others, 1976, p. 43; Stager and Tingley, 1988, p. 206
Seven Troughs District
Other Names: Vernon, Mazuma, Farrell
Commodities: gold, silver, lead, copper, zinc, tungsten, antimony, uranium, arsenic
This district covers the central and southern parts of the Seven Troughs Range. The original district was mainly on the eastern slope of the range and included the camps of Seven Troughs and Mazuma in Seven Troughs Canyon, Vernon to the south, and Farrell to the north. Farrell was organized as a separate district in 1908. The Seven Troughs district now includes all of the range except the northern tip and Farrell, which is a separate district.
Stuart, 1909, p. 121; Hill, 1912, p. 214; Lincoln, 1923, p. 216; Stoddard, 1932, p. 80; Vanderburg, 1936b, p. 27; Lawrence, 1963, p. 205; La Heist, 1964, p. 66; Shamberger, 1972, p. 12; Garside, 1973, p. 96; Johnson, 1977, p. 89; Stager and Tingley, 1988, p. 192
Seven Troughs Placer District Description
East flank of the Seven Troughs Mountains, T. 30 N., Rs. 28 and 29 E.
Lovelock 2-degree sheet, Army Map Service.
Tatlock, 1969, Preliminary geologic map of Pershing County, Nevada, scale 1:200,000.
From Lovelock, 26 miles west on State Highway 48 to Vernon. Placers are accessible by dirt roads leading along flank of the mountains.
No descriptions of placers in the Seven Troughs district have been found, although placer gold was recovered periodically from 1913 to 1948. The placers are in the gulches and along the flanks of the range near many small gold and silver lode mines.
Except for the amount of placer gold produced, no information has been found describing placer mining in this district.
The placer gold was derived from the gold veins in the area that contain free gold. Ransome (1909b, p. 22) states, "The valuable con-stituent of the lodes is native gold containing a considerable proportion of silver, and consequently of a rather pale color. In most of the rich ore the gold is visible either as clusters of small irregular particles or as coarse crystalline aggregates * * *.
Loose nugget-like masses up to an ounce in weight have been found in soft crushed vein matter in the Reagan lease." Erosion of such veins would account for the origin of the placers in the area.
Ransome, 1909b: Describes lode mines.