Other Names: Slater
Commodities: uranium, vanadium
Located 2 miles west of Sutor, on the Union Pacific Railroad south of Las Vegas. This is the Slater district of Schilling (1963).
Lincoln, 1923, p. 28; Stoddard, 1932, p. 26; Gianella, 1945, p. 31; Schilling, 1963
Swales Mountain District
Commodities: gold, lead, zinc, silver, tungsten, turquoise, barite
The Swales Mountain district includes Fish Creek Mountain and Swales Mountain, at the south end of the Independence Mountains about 15 miles north of Carlin. Most mines in the district are located on the east side of Swales Mountain.
Smith, 1976, p. 157; Stager and Tingley, 1988, p. 65; LaPointe and others, 1991, p. 206
Other Names: Green Mountain
Commodities: silver, lead, tungsten, gold, talc, beryllium, fluorspar
The Sylvania district includes all of the northern Sylvania Mountains in the area south of Palmetto Wash, extending generally along the California state line to Cucomungo Canyon. The district, situated partly in California and partly in Nevada, was organized in 1869 as the Green Mountain district and changed in 1873 to Sylvania. The original Green Mountain district included the Tule Canyon district.
Wheeler, 1872, p. 47; Whitehill, 1875, p. 21; Angel, 1881, p. 417; Lincoln, 1923, p. 83; Stoddard, 1932, p. 41; Gianella, 1945, p. 61; Griffiths, 1964, p. 72-73; Albers and Stewart, 1972, p. 71; Papke, 1975, p. 8; Papke, 1979, p. 20; Stager and Tingley, 1988, p. 69
Sylvania Placer District Description
In the northwest end of the Sylvania Mountains between Lead- ville Canyon and Palmetto Wash, T. 6 S., R. 39 E.
Magruder Mountain 15-minute quadrangle.
McKee, 1968, Geologic map of the Magruder Mountain area, Nevada-California (pi. 1), scale 1:62,500.
From Tonopah, 34 miles south on U.S. Highway 95 to Lida Junction; from there, 19 miles west to Lida on State Highway 3. The placer area is about 9 miles west of Lida on State Highway 3 in Palmetto Wash and in tributary washes reached by a dirt road leading south from the highway.
Small placer deposits occur on the east slope of the northwest end of the Sylvania Mountains in Leadville Canyon (sec. 20, T. 6 S., R. 39 E.) and in an unnamed major tributary to Palmetto Wash, near Pigeon Spring (sees. 16 and 17, T. 6 S., R. 39 E.).
The placers in the Sylvania district were reportedly discovered in 1866 and 1869 (Palmetto Wash placers). The gold found in Palmetto Wash contained large amounts of silver and was worth at that time only $13.50 per ounce. Activity in the area has been on a very small scale and intermittent.
The placer gold probably comes from veins in Jurassic granites along the crest of the Sylvania Mountains. Silver and lead have been produced from these veins.
Vanderburg, 1936a: Virtually repeats Smith and Vai.derburg (1932). Brief note of placer occurrence in area called Pigeon Springs; methods of mining; year of greatest mining activity; placer-mining activity during the period 1929-30.
hite, 1871 : Discovery and location of Palmetto placers; size and fineness of placer gold.