Table Mountain District
Other Names: Boyer, Cottonwood Canyon, Bolivia, Dixie Valley, Cornish Camp, Dixie Marsh, Marvel, Copper Kettle, Corral Canyon, Pine Woods, Silver Hill
Commodities: copper, nickel, cobalt, mercury, silver, lead, antimony, gold, tungsten, fluorspar, kaolin, gypsum, arsenic, titanium
Located on the slopes of Table Mountain, at the northern end of the Stillwater Range. The Cottonwood Canyon area, on the east side of the Stillwater Range, was originally known as the Bolivia district. The Boyer area is to the south and Cornish Camp is to the north, extending to the northwest side of Table Mountain. Vanderburg (1940) included all of the Table Mountain area on both sides of the range, including the separate Dixie Valley (Marvel), Dixie Marsh, Copper Kettle, and Corral Canyon areas in a large Table Mountain district.
The 1880 map shows a Pine Woods district located in this area, and Table Mountain is within the large Silver Hill district of DeGroot (1863).
DeGroot, 1863; Whitehill, 1873, p. 54; Whitehill, 1879, p. 65; Stuart, 1909, p. 122; Hill, 1912, p. 199; Lincoln, 1923, p. 11; Stoddard, 1932, p. 22; Lotz, 1934, p. 17; Ferguson, 1939, p. 7; Vanderburg, 1940, p. 45; Schrader, 1947, p. 314; Beal, 1963, p. 9; Lawrence, 1963, p. 192; La Heist, 1964, p. 66; Willden and Speed, 1974, p. 82; Papke, 1979, p. 64-66; Jones, 1983; Johnson, 1977, p. 93; Papke, 1987, p. 25-26; Stager and Tingley, 1988, p. 193
Other Names: Knight, Dyke
Commodities: gold, silver, mercury, copper
The district covers a small area of the eastern Virginia Range about 3 miles northwest of Silver Springs and 3 miles east of the Ramsey district. The Knight district, described in the Gold Hill News (1863) as being located 35 miles northeast of Virginia City and 6 miles northwest of Fishers Station on the Carson River, was probably this area. The main mine at Talapoosa was the Dyke.
Gold Hill News, December 31, 1863; Stuart, 1909, p. 140; Hill, 1912, p. 219; Lincoln, 1923, p. 132; Stoddard, 1932, p. 57; Stoddard and Carpenter, 1950, p. 82; Moore, 1969, p. 24
Talapoosa Placer District Description
Gold deposits have been known in the northern end of the Virginia Range since the 1860's, but little work has been done in the district. A small placer deposit is reported to have been worked in 1922.
Stoddard and Carpenter, 1950.
Other Names: Ward
County: White Pine
Commodities: silver, lead, antimony, copper, zinc, gold, arsenic
The Taylor district is in the western foothills of the Schell Creek Range about 15 miles southeast of Ely. Stoddard (1932) used Ward as an alternate name, and may have combined the Taylor district with Ward, across the valley to the west, or may have followed Hill (1912) who used Taylor as an alternate name for Ward.
Whitehill, 1875, p. 77; Whitehill, 1877, p. 172; Angel, 1881, p. 657; Lincoln, 1923, p. 255; Stoddard, 1932, p. 89; Lawrence, 1963, p. 229; La Heist, 1964, p. 66; Hose and others, 1976, p. 78
Commodities: lead, silver, copper, zinc, gold, antimony, molybdenum, barite
The Tecoma district is located on the Nevada-Utah state line about 13 miles northeast of Montello. The district includes an area about 4 miles square in the southern edge of the Goose Creek Hills.
Hill, 1912, p. 205; Lincoln, 1923, p. 57; Stoddard, 1932, p. 35; Gianella, 1945, p. 48; Granger and others, 1957, p. 147; Smith, 1976, p. 158; LaPointe and others, 1991, p. 209