Other Names: Hot Creek, Keystone, Empire, Argenta, Rattlesnake Canyon, Milk Spring, Shenandoa, Tyboe
Commodities: silver, lead, zinc, gold, antimony, copper, barite
The Tybo district is in the Hot Creek Range, extending from Warm Springs on the south to Hot Creek on the north. The original district was named Empire and extended from the area of Empire Canyon south to what was later the town of Tybo. Rattlesnake Canyon district was south of Empire and may have been part of the Empire district. The northern section of district, near Hot Creek, is sometimes considered to be the separate Hot Creek district. The Territorial Enterprise (1878) used Shenandoa name for the Hot Creek section.
The Argenta and Hot Creek districts were located by Lotz (1934) as being in T7-8N, R49- 50E. Mercury mines in M & M Canyon on the southwestern tip of the Hot Creek Range, west of Warm Springs, were included in the Tybo district by Kral (1951) and Kleinhampl and Ziony (1984), but are now considered to be in the separate Mercury Mountain district. The historic Milk Spring area included Mercury Mountain as well as the southern tip of the present Tybo district.
Stretch, 1867, p. 62; White, 1869, p. 73; White, 1871, p. 91; Wheeler, 1872, p. 39, map; Whitehill, 1873, p. 108; Territorial Enterprise, May 7, 1878; Angel, 1881, p. 517, 518; Hill, 1912, p. 224; Lincoln, 1923, p. 195; Stoddard, 1932, p. 72; Lotz, 1934, p. 22; Kral, 1951, p. 189; Lawrence, 1963, p. 132; Bonham, 1976; Kleinhampl and Ziony, 1984, p. 210