Discovered: 1915 (?)
Commodities: diatomite, gold, silver
Located on the western slopes of the Trinity Range. Gold occurrences are centered in a basin on the west side of Trinity Peak in T27N, R29E. Diatomite occurrences are about 6 miles to the north in T28N, R29E.
Lincoln, 1923, p. 221; Stoddard, 1932, p. 81; Vanderburg, 1936b, p. 48; Johnson, 1977, p. 99
Other Names: Ashdown, Warm Springs
Commodities: gold, tungsten, silver, copper, lead
Located in the northern end of the Pine Forest Range, the Vicksburg district lies immediately south of the Pueblo district. Vicksburg was combined with Pueblo into the large Warm Springs district by Vanderburg (1938a).
Stretch, 1867, p. 46; Angel, 1881, p. 453; Hill, 1912, p. 215; Lincoln, 1923, p. 105; Stoddard, 1932, p. 48; Vanderburg, 1938a, p. 49; Willden, 1964, tables 20, 21; Stager and Tingley, 1988, p. 94-96
Other Names: Bull Valley, Tule Springs
The Vigo district includes Bull Valley Wash in the area between Lime Mountain and the Utah state line. The district was formerly known as the Bull Valley district and is sometimes extended south to include the Tule Springs Hills, although the southern part of the Tule Springs area is sometimes included in the Gourd Springs district.
Smith, 1931, NBMG mining district file 177, item 1; Stoddard, 1932, p. 55
Other Names: Pittsburg, Cherokee, Carp, Long Valley, Bradshaw
Discovered: 1860s(?) 1917
Active: 1917Commodities: fluorspar, silver, copper, lead, zinc, gold, manganese
According to Averett (1995), Viola may be the site of the historic Long Valley district, described by the Territorial Enterprise (1873) as being located about 40 miles southeast of Pioche. Averett (1995) also describes a Bradshaw district, discovered in 1928, located about 19 miles northeast of Carp. This district may have been in the eastern part of the present Viola district. The present Viola district extends along the southern flank of the Clover Mountains from Meadow Valley Wash, near Cottonwood Canyon, on the west to the Blue Nose Peak area on the east.
Territorial Enterprise, March 20, 1873, 2:3, and May 14, 1873, 2:4; The Nevada Miner, Sept. 15, 1902, 5:2; Lincoln, 1923, p. 128; Stoddard, 1932, p. 55; Averett, 1963, p. 25; Tschanz and Pampeyan, 1970, p. 160; Papke, 1979, p. 8-9; Averett, 1995, p. 142-144
Other Names: Eagle Valley, Washoe, Clear Creek, Pine Forest; Eagle and Washoe Valley
County: Carson City
Commodities: graphite, silver, gold, copper, tungsten, arsenic
Located near the base of the mountains, on the east slope of the Carson Range 3 miles west of Carson City. Most of the district is in the drainage basins of Kings and Voltaire Canyons. The Territorial Enterprise (1861) used the name Pine Forest for this area. According to King (1885), the Eagle and Washoe Valley district was organized covering this area in 1861.
Territorial Enterprise, July 20, 1861; Angel, 1881, p. 537; King, 1885, p. 520; Lincoln, 1923, p. 200; Stoddard, 1932, p. 74; Overton, 1947, p. 43; Moore, 1969, p. 31; Stager and Tingley, 1988, p. 31