White Rock Springs District
Other Names: Oak Spring
Located in the area of Tongue Wash and Captain Jack Spring, southwest of White Rock Spring. Kral (1951) included this area in the Oak Spring district.
Shafer and Cook,1947; Kral, 1951, p. 141
Wild Horse District (Churchill, Lander Counties)
Other Names: Augusta, Hiawatha
Commodities: mercury, manganese, antimony
Located on the Churchill-Lander county line, the Wild Horse district and extends north into Humboldt County covering mountains along the county line.The district is north of the Augusta Mountains and east of Humboldt Salt Marsh, in the area of the historic Augusta district. The Wild Horse district was originally in Lander County, but a boundary change placed most of it in Churchill County.
The southwestern part of district, lying northeast of Shoshone Creek Canyon, is sometimes included in the adjacent Bernice district. The Hiawatha district, described in the Territorial Enterprise (1866) as “north of the Alamo [Bernice] district,” may have been in this area.
Territorial Enterprise, November 1, 1866, 1:2; General Land Office, 1866; Stretch, 1867, p. 29; Bailey and Phoenix, 1944, p. 111; Lawrence, 1963, p. 112; Stewart and others, 1977, p. 97
Wild Horse District (Pershing County)
Commodities: tungsten, antimony, silver, lead, iron, arsenic, fluorspar
Located in the central part of the West Humboldt Range in T25-26N, R31-32E.
Lincoln, 1923, p. 221; Stoddard, 1932, p. 82; Vanderburg, 1936b, p. 50; Lawrence, 1963, p. 193; La Heist, 1964, p. 66; Johnson, 1977, p. 101; Stager and Tingley, 1988, p. 195
Other Names: Loring, Lovelock
Commodities: gold, antimony, silver, copper, montmorillonite
The Willard district is on the north end of the West Humboldt Range in T28N, R32-33E. The original name was Willard, but Loring, from the name of the major mining company, was in use as the district name in 1923. Stoddard (1932) used Lovelock as alternate name, but this is an error because Stoddard’s references refer to areas other than Willard. Schilling (1976) listed Lovelock as an alternate name for this district.
Lincoln, 1923, p. 209; Stoddard, 1932, p. 77; Vanderburg, 1936b, p. 50; Lawrence, 1963, p. 179; Papke, 1970, p. 34; Bonham, 1976; Schilling, 1976; Johnson, 1977, p. 102