This is the extensive placer-mining region in the western San Gabriel Mountains in Los Angeles County. It includes the Newhall, Soledad, Placerita Canyon, upper Santa Clara River, Sand Canyon, Pacoima Canyon and Arrastre Canyon areas and a number of other canyons. The area sometimes is known as the San Gabriel district and also as the Newhall district; Gold was discovered in the district in the early 1800s, the exact date and place being somewhat uncertain. It is likely that the mission fathers from the San Fernando and San Buena Ventura missions worked placers in the area during the 1830s. A commemorative plaque in Placerita Canyon states that gold was discovered at that locality on March 9, 1842. Production figures are not available, but it has been estimated that $100,000 was produced during the first few years. Placer mining has been carried on intermittently ever since, mostly by small-scale methods. The gold has been recovered from the gravels in the present stream channels and from benches and terraces along the banks. Also, there are a few minor gold-quartz veins in the area.
Gay, T. E., Jr., and Hoffman, S. R., 1954, Mines and mineral deposits of Los Angeles County, gold: California Jour. of Mines and Geology, vol. 50, pp. 493-496.
Jamison, C. E., Santa Clara River placers, Los Angeles and Ventura Counties: Mining and Scientific Press, vol. 100, Mar. 5, 1910, pp. 360- 361.
Oakeshott, G. B., 1958, Geology and mineral deposits of the San Fernando quadrangle, Los Angeles County: Calif. Div. Mines Bull. 172, pp. 108-109.
Preston, E. B., 1890, Auriferous gravels of Castaca, Palomas, and San Feliciana Canons: Calif. Min. Bur. Rept. 9, pp. 201-203.