Searchlight, Nevada

Searchlight History

George Frederick Colton discovered gold at this site in 1897. By 1898 the town of Searchlight had settled at the site and a new mining district was born. Searchlight's heyday was the period between 1907 and 1910, when the mines produced more than 7 million in gold and the town had a population of around 1,500. The last gold mines in the area closed around 1953.