Sign at site reads:
Site of Sierra Nevada house
The Sierrra Nevada house was a handsome two-story buidling with many windows and a broad balcony. Here guests could always expect fine hospitality, superb food, excellent ballroom music, fine carriages and comfortable beds. It was operated by Robert Chalmers from 1852 until 1869, when he sold it to begin building the Vineyard House. The fading old hotel continued to serve travellers and boarders until it was destroyed by fire in 1902. A new hotel was built. It burned in 1925. A replica now stands at the intersection 1 mile north of here. All that remains of the once-grand hotel is the well, visible below.