This is a placer-mining district in central Calaveras County, in the vicinity of the old town of Calaveritas. It includes the Old Gulch area to the north. At one time there were many Mexican miners in the area.
The district is underlain by slate, graphitic schist, quartzite, limestone, green schist and granodiorite. Numerous gravel patches, remnants of the west-trending Fort Mountain channel of Tertiary age, were mined by hydraulic king and sluicing during the early days. The recent stream gravels were worked by dragline dredges during the 1930s. There are a few narrow gold-quartz veins.
Barnhardt, Calaveritas Hill Consolidated, Oro Fino, Railroad Hill, Richie Hill.
Clark, L D., 1954, Geology and mineral deposits of the Coloveritas quadrangle: California Div. Mines Spec. Rept. 40, 23 pp.
Clark, W. B., and Lydon, P. A., 1962, Calaveras County, placer gold: California Div. Mines and Geology County Report 2, pp. 76-93.