Gold Center History
Gold Center was one of the many town sites that were established in 1904 as a result of the Bullfrog mining rush. Although the Gold Center site was not as close to the mines as other camps, it had the advantage of being near the Amargosa River which provided an important water source in an area where water access was scarce.
The boom town of Rhyolite became the center of the district, and as a result other camps like Bullfrog and Amargosa faded into obscurity. Gold Center lived on however as a transportation hub, a milling center, and as a water source for surrounding communities.
Water pipelines were built from Gold Center to Rhyolite and later to Carrara. Gold Center was able to further benefit from its water by developing an ice plant and a brewery. Two stamp mills operated in the town.
Gold Center was on the original stage route that served Rhyolite and Beatty and later was on the route of two railroads.
Today Gold Center is a ghost town.
Nevada Mining Photos
A Collection of Nevada Mining Photos contains numerous examples of Nevada's best historic mining scenes.
Nevada has a total of 368 distinct gold districts. Of the of those, just 36 are major producers with production and/or reserves of over 1,000,000 ounces, 49 have production and/or reserves of over 100,000 ounces, with the rest having less than 100,000 ounces. Read more at Gold Districts of Nevada.