This disttict is between the towns of Jenny Lind and Milton in western Calaveras County. It extends west into eastern San Joaquin and north-eastern Stanislaus Counties. The area was first worked during the gold rush, and later hydraulicked. There was dredging here from 1903 until about 1940 and also small-scale lode mining. The district has yielded more than 100,000 ounces of gold.
The gold values are in river gravels and floodplain deposits in and adjacent to the Calaveras River. There are older terrace and shore gravels, some of which are overlain by hardpan. In places hydraulic mine tailings overlie the gravels. Dredging depths ranged from 20 to 40 feet, with the average nearer 20 feet. Recovered gold values ranged from 10Â¢ to 30Â¢ per yard and hydraulic tailings were around 10Â¢ per yard. There are a number of narrow gold-quartz veins in greenstone in the eastern portion of the district.
Butte Dredging Co., Calaveras Gold Dredging Co. 1903-16, El Oro Dredging Co., Isabel Dredging Co. 1908-25?, Milton Gold Dredging Co. 1935-?
Clark, W. B., and Lydon, P.A., 1962, Calaveras County, gold: California Div. Mines and Geology County Rept. 2, pp. 32-93.
Logan, C.A., 1919, Calaveras River area: California Min. Bur. Bull. 85, pp. 32-33.
Logan, C.A., 1936, Calaveras County, ancient shore-line deposits: California Div. Mines Rept. 32, pp. 324-325.
Tucker, W. B., 1916, Calaveras County, gold dredging: California Min. Bur. Rept. 14, pp. 124-127.
Turner, H.W., 1894, Jackson folio: U.S. Geol. Survey Geol. Atlas of the U.S., folio 11, 6 pp.
Winston, W. B., 1910, Gold dredging in California: California Min. Bur. Bull. 57, pp. 207-208.