This is a small gold- and copper-bearing district in southeastern Mendocino County in the mountains between the Russian River on the west and Clear Lake on the east. Minor amounts of placer gold were recovered from streams on the west slope of the range in the 1880s and 1890s and again in the 1920s and 1930s. Several narrow gold- and copper-bearing quartz veins occur near the summit. The region is underlain by sandstone, shale, and serpentine.
Crawford, J. J., 1894, Red Mountain Mining District: California Min. Bur. Rept. 12, p. 177.